front line license is needed  if undertaking licensable activity, other than key holding activities (this also covers undertaking non-front line activity). A front line licence is in the form of a credit card-sized plastic card that must be worn, subject to the licence conditions.

What is a non- front line licence?

non-front line licence is needed for those who manage, supervise and/or employ individuals who involved in licensable activity, as long as front line activity is not carried out – this includes directors or partners. A non-front line licence is presented in the form of a letter that also covers key holding activities.


front line example If you have a non-front line licence you do not need to get another one if you are involved in another area of non-front line licensable activity (for example: if you are a director of a firm supplying close protection operatives but you also supply security guards, you will not need to get two licences).

You need a door supervisor licence if your job involves guarding a licensed premises.

A licensed premises is any premises that is open to the public which sells alcohol or provides regulated entertainment.

You do not need a door supervisor licence if your job only involves the use of CCTV equipment.

To get a door supervisor licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • pass an identity check
  • pass a criminal record check
  • have a recognised door supervisor qualification

Qualifications in door supervision

Before you apply for your licence you must get a qualification in door supervision that is recognised by the Security Industry Authority (SIA).

To get a qualification in door supervision you must take 4 training modules and pass 3 exams. Your training will take at least 4 days.

The modules you must study are:

  • SIA’s ‘Common’ module
  • Door supervision module
  • Conflict management module
  • Physical intervention skills module

Integration with other licences

People who have a close protection licence can work as door supervisors.

People who have a door supervisor licence can work as security guards, CCTV operators, and keyholders.